Why Top 45?

These are the things that float to the top of my list of activities that I want to do for the year 2012 when I am 45 years old. The list is comprised of things that I have either never tried or have wanted to try and just didn't have the courage or time to do it. Follow along and watch my progress and feel free to comment or add words of encouragement to help keep me going for the next 365 days!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

SXSW Part 2 - Day 1

Recap of the end of the week:

Day 6:
Bernie

Day 7:
Music - Diego's Umbrella at Waterloo
Movie - Girl Walk//All Day

Day 8:
Do-Deca Pentathlon

Summary:
15 movies in 8 days...SXSW film is actually going on for a 9th day but I do not think I will be going today for two reasons...I need some sleep and I need some Nicole time.

Movie Reviews:
Day 1

The Cabin in the Woods
Director: Drew Goddard
Screenwriters: Joss Whedon, Drew Goddard


Description -
Five friends go to a remote cabin in the woods.  Bad things happen.
If you think you know this story, think again.  From fan favorites Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard comes The Cabin in the Woods, a mind blowing horror film that turns the genre inside out.
My Review -
I am not a big fan of horror/slasher movies, but this one is so different and creative that I was actually laughing so much before any of the scary stuff came on screen that when it did get to some of the unsavory segments, I didn't mind it so much.  There are several unexpected twists in the movie that I won't reveal (although other people already have).  I highly recommend seeing it even if you don't like scary movies because this one is quite different and the dialogue that produces some one-liners is great.

The Babymakers
Director: Jay Chandrasekhar
Screenwriters: Peter Gaulke, Gerry Swallow


Description -
After trying everything to get his wife Audrey (Olivia Munn) pregnant, Tommy Macklin (Paul Schneider) realizes to his horror that he may be "shooting blanks."  Terrified that his marriage may fall apart, Tommy recruits his friends (and and Indian ex-mobster) to rob a sperm bank where he made a deposit years ago.  As with any half-baked scheme, everything can and does go wrong, testing the limits of Tommy and Audrey's relationship.  The Babymakers is a hilarious twist on the heist film genre, a laugh-out loud comedy showing how far one couple will go in hopes of creating a new life.
My Review -
I really enjoyed this movie, too.  There was a good bit of creative and funny dialogue between the characters and even some slapstick physical humor.  All is of course resolved in the end, but getting to the ending takes you on a fun ride.

The festival started out with a bang with these first two movies.  More reviews to come...



No comments:

Post a Comment