Why Top 45?

These are the things that float to the top of my list of activities that I want to do for the year 2012 when I am 45 years old. The list is comprised of things that I have either never tried or have wanted to try and just didn't have the courage or time to do it. Follow along and watch my progress and feel free to comment or add words of encouragement to help keep me going for the next 365 days!

Saturday, March 24, 2012

SXSW Day 5 Recap

     I made it past the half-way point in one piece!  I reconnected with Andy on Tuesday for another day-long marathon of movies and was not disappointed.  You could basically call it 'Documentary Day' based on our viewing choices.  I knew I had it in me for one more day of standing in line then sitting in theaters to be entertained by others.

Movie Reviews
Wonder Women!
Director: Kristy Guevara-Flangan
Executive Producer: Erin Prather Stafford
Description-
"WONDER WOMEN! The Untold Story of American Superheroines" traces the fascinating evolution and legacy of Wonder Woman. From the birth of the comic book superheroine in the 1940s to the blockbusters of today, WONDER WOMEN! looks at how popular representations of powerful women often reflect society’s anxieties about women’s liberation. "WONDER WOMEN!" goes behind the scenes with Lynda Carter, Lindsay Wagner, comic writers and artists, and real life superheroines such as Gloria Steinem, Shelby Knox and others who offer an enlightening and entertaining counterpoint to the male dominated superhero genre.
My Review-
I really enjoyed this documentary and it definitely got me thinking about how women are portrayed in comics but also on TV, in films and other places.  The lack of women superheroes hadn't really crossed my mind until now.  I really wanted to take Nicole to see it to open up her mind to strong women characters but I couldn't find the time.  I will be watching for it to be on TV, PBS or get someone to tape it if it comes on HBO or premium cable channel.  I did recommend to the director and producer that they should get in touch with GirlStart, a program whose mission is to get young girls interest in science, engineering and math.  I figure showing this video could get a dialogue going for strong women in many areas of life, not just entertainment.  If you get a chance to see the entire documentary, it is interesting to note how Wonder Woman changes over time from war time to peace time and beyond.

Preview below:




Trash Dance
Director: Andrew Garrison
Producer:  Charlotte Herzele
Choreographer: Allison Orr
Description-
Sometimes inspiration is found in unexpected places. Choreographer Allison Orr finds beauty and grace in garbage trucks -- and in the men and women who pick up our trash. She joins city sanitation workers on their daily routes to listen, learn, and ultimately to try to convince them to collaborate in a unique dance performance. Hard working, often carrying a second job, their lives are already full with work, family and dreams of their own. But some step forward, and after months of rehearsal, two dozen trash collectors and their trucks perform an extraordinary spectacle. On an abandoned airport runway, thousands of people show up to see how in the world a garbage truck can "dance."
My Review-
I loved this documentary because it shows such a personal side to the people who work hard everyday picking up our trash.  I think we take it too much for granted like getting water out of a faucet.  One of the coolest parts during the Q & A was seeing two of the workers and hear them speak about their job and the experience of making this documentary.
Preview Below:




Waiting For Lightening
Director: Jacob Rosenberg
Screenwriter: Bret Anthony Johnston
Description-
From the producers of "Step Into Liquid", comes "Waiting For Lightning", the story of Danny Way, a young boy from a broken home in Vista, CA, whose passion for skateboarding would one day bring him and his creation, a ramp of prodigious and dangerous proportions, across many cultural and ideological boundaries to attempt the impossible: jump China’s Great Wall on a skateboard. It’s a film about how much abuse the body can sustain, how deep you have to dig to survive the betrayals of family, and how high and far dreams can fly.
My Review-
I really enjoyed seeing what life experiences drove Danny Way's passion.  He didn't have the easiest life as a young boy/young man, yet he 1. survived it all and 2. had such great passion and was able to capitalize on his passion for skateboarding into a way to make a living.  I would say the only part of it that bothers me is that with all the loss in his life, as a father himself, he still puts himself into situations that could be life-threatening that would end up leaving his son without a father.  It is a tough dilemma to reconcile...follow your passion for what you do best even when it is life-threatening.
Preview Below:




Beauty Is Embarrassing
Yes, I saw it again!  Andy had not seen it even though I had previously and I did not mind, not one bit, watching it again and listening to Wayne White and Neil Berkeley talk about how they made the film and how passionate they are about it.  Wayne White is so entertaining to boot!

Just three more days to recap and on to other things...training for the Diva Dash and then the Danskin Triathlon is keeping me busy along with finding time for work!

No comments:

Post a Comment