Why Top 45?

These are the things that float to the top of my list of activities that I want to do for the year 2012 when I am 45 years old. The list is comprised of things that I have either never tried or have wanted to try and just didn't have the courage or time to do it. Follow along and watch my progress and feel free to comment or add words of encouragement to help keep me going for the next 365 days!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

SXSW Day 8 Recap

     I debated seeing any movies at all on Friday because Susan was leaving to go home mid-day and Nicole was missing me.  Since Nicole got invited to have a sleepover and wanted to go, I decided to catch one last movie, The Do-Deca Pentathlon.  As expected, it was a bit crazy downtown since the music portion of SXSW had started but the movie was early enough that the total craziness had not begun.

Movie Review
The Do-Deca Pentathlon
Director: Jay Duplass, Mark Duplass
Screenwriter: Jay Duplass, Mark Duplass
Description-
From Jay and Mark Duplass, the writer/directors of the Sundance hits “The Puffy Chair,” “Cyrus” and the upcoming “Jeff Who Lives at Home” comes “The Do-Deca-Pentathalon” - the story of two grown brothers who secretly compete in a homemade Olympics during a family reunion.
When their fierce and disruptive competition is uncovered, the brothers must choose between their passion for beating the hell out of each other and the greater good of the family.
My Review-
Initially I thought this movie would be a little more like Superbad or more like a Judd Apetow movie.  I am not as familiar with the Duplass brothers films and ended up seeing this one and Safety Not Guaranteed during SXSW so now I am more familiar with their style.  The movie was entertaining and fun, just not probably in my top 5 from SXSW.  There was a good bit of conflict in the movie between the characters that seemed to be eventually resolved, I just wish there was more time spent on the activities in the Do-Deca Pentathlon.  I think boys/men are more competitive with siblings as opposed to being cooperative...may be a gross over simplification of genders, but it is true for me anyway, so it was a little more difficult for me to relate to as opposed to Safety Not Guaranteed that was a little more quirky and at the center, about relationships.  Also, the characters remind me of two brothers I know pretty well...I wonder if they are going to set up their own competition now after seeing this film. 

I couldn't find a trailer for the movie so below is an interview with the Duplass brothers describing the inspiration for the film.



So, SXSW ended for me on Friday.  I truly was not very interested in seeing the music, probably because I am spoiled with how much music can be heard in Austin year round and I don't really prefer being around such large crowds (don't feel safe wondering downtown alone going into bars, theaters seem safer.) 

Before going into SXSW this year, I thought that I would only go this year and that would be it.  I had a blast and the reality of SXSW, at least the film portion, far exceeded my expectations.  Susan has already offered to come back next Spring Break to be with Nicole, so who knows, I won't rule it out!

Back to regularly scheduled blogging . . . need to do a First Quarter recap of ongoing items.

No comments:

Post a Comment