Why Top 45?

These are the things that float to the top of my list of activities that I want to do for the year 2012 when I am 45 years old. The list is comprised of things that I have either never tried or have wanted to try and just didn't have the courage or time to do it. Follow along and watch my progress and feel free to comment or add words of encouragement to help keep me going for the next 365 days!

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Why Top 45?

The title of this blog is referring to the Top 45 activities/goals that I will accomplish next year when I turn 45 years old.  I don't turn 45 until January 3, however I figure that my first year of life was counted in months so technically, I am not starting early, just overlapping the years.


“Why am I doing this?”

This question makes me think of the BC comic shown below, one of my favorites that I read many years ago and describe to others from time to time.
 
 








The simplest response to the opening question would be, “Why not?”  But, as in life, nothing really is that simple.  More to the point would be, “Why now?”  For me, I have reached a point in my life that I feel like I have the confidence and the resources to set goals and see them through.  There is a famous quote from Hillel that goes like this:

“If I am not for myself, who will be for me?  And if I am only for myself, what am I?  And if not now – When?”

I think this quote can pretty much sum up many of the reasons I am doing this Top 45.  For as long as I can remember, I have been waiting.  Waiting for other people to step up and do for me or act, other people to express their likes, wants and desires, other people to stop spending money or just plain make up their mind while I put my hopes and dreams on the back burner.  It hit me this year that it is time for me to stop waiting and figure out what I want out of life because I am not getting any younger.

The graph below also explains a small piece of answering the question, “Why now?”  The pyramid shows the hierarchy described by Bloom’s Taxonomy.  It has been researched and found that in order to reach higher level thinking skills, individuals need to get beyond pure survival instincts.  Since the last few years have been a bit of a roller coaster psychologically as well as financially, I am happy to say that I feel like I am in a good place in both areas which lead me to be able to tap into my creativity and even imagine a list of things that would be fulfilling for me to attempt.





Of course, this diagram below is an excellent depiction of my “creative process.”



Last, but absolutely not least, is the fact that my daughter is now 9 years old.  She has reached an age and level of independence that allows me the luxury to spend time doing for myself and less and less of my day stressing over what her needs are for each day.  Don’t get me wrong, I still make her lunch each day, walk her to and from school most days, but evening and weekend time is not ALWAYS about entertaining her because she spends a good bit of time playing with friends, reading, doing homework and participating in her activities including musical theater, drama club and swimming.

The bottom line is now is the perfect time for me to dream, imagine, set goals and realize them.  Some may call me crazy to think that I can do this all in one year….to them I give Exhibit A and then Exhibit B below.


Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:



So, unless you have something positive to say about all this, don't say anything at all.
; )

Up next:

Inspiration
Cups & Ice
The List


No comments:

Post a Comment