Why Top 45?

These are the things that float to the top of my list of activities that I want to do for the year 2012 when I am 45 years old. The list is comprised of things that I have either never tried or have wanted to try and just didn't have the courage or time to do it. Follow along and watch my progress and feel free to comment or add words of encouragement to help keep me going for the next 365 days!

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Defying Gravity

I love, love, love, love the musical Wicked.  The first time I saw it in Chicago with my friend Stacy, I was mesmerized from the first note.  I like how clever the script and songs are that intertwine the story lines of the Wizard of Oz into Wicked and how you realize how there are often two sides to a story.  I like art that makes you think, at least some, and entertain at the same time.  I remember sitting on the edge of my seat when Elphaba was singing Defying Gravity and being drawn to the entire song and especially the following part of the lyrics:

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
Of someone else's game
Too late for second-guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes: and leap!





I can really relate to those lyrics today.  It is hard to completely explain it, and I think the feeling comes part from just getting older and having enough life experiences to draw on and some of it comes from just finally feeling comfortable in my own skin.

Idina Menzel is incredible as Elphaba and I like her performance at the Tony awards, you can see it here:




Even though she is a fictional character, her attitude standing up for what she believes in no matter the cost, is an awesome trait.






I will see Wicked for the 4th time in February (as part of my list) and I will be taking my daughter, Nicole, for the second time.  My hope is that she learns from Elphaba, and this song, that "Ev'ryone deserves the chance to fly!" and that she will have the confidence to defy gravity in her own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment