Why Top 45?

These are the things that float to the top of my list of activities that I want to do for the year 2012 when I am 45 years old. The list is comprised of things that I have either never tried or have wanted to try and just didn't have the courage or time to do it. Follow along and watch my progress and feel free to comment or add words of encouragement to help keep me going for the next 365 days!

Friday, October 28, 2011

Team Lisbeth

First there was "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob" from the Twilight series.  Then there was "Team Coco" for people who wanted to show their support to Conan O'Brien http://teamcoco.com/ after the whole Tonight Show debacle.  Now, I think there should be a "Team Lisbeth".

Some of you may recognize the name Lisbeth for the title of this post from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series by Steig Larsson.  We read the three books in book club and I have watched the three Swedish versions of the movies with Noomi Rapace playing Lisbeth (Rooney Mara, you have some big shoes to fill in the English language versions!  I loved you in The Social Network and can see why they chose you to play this part.).  I know that some people may have a hard time understanding why I think this fictional character would be inspiring, but it makes perfect sense to me.  Lisbeth did not have an easy life, not one bit, and yet with every obstacle she encountered, she did not make excuses nor did she play the victim card.  I do not recommend the books, nor the movies, to everyone because the subject matter is controversial and can be hard to watch.  The thing I want to point out is that Lisbeth is a survivor and can take care of herself.  She knows how to kick a** but does not do so to random people and only believes that those who hurt others deserve to be punished. 

There are LOTS of everyday people who, like Lisbeth, are abused or neglected and I hope they can find the inner strength to pull themselves up from their bootstraps and kick some a** is their own way.  We all have it in us to flourish, be successful and follow our dreams.

Here's to Team Lisbeth!






Random note:  Lisbeth is the Swedish version of the name Elizabeth, my mom's and one of my sister's name...interesting coincidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment