Why Top 45?

These are the things that float to the top of my list of activities that I want to do for the year 2012 when I am 45 years old. The list is comprised of things that I have either never tried or have wanted to try and just didn't have the courage or time to do it. Follow along and watch my progress and feel free to comment or add words of encouragement to help keep me going for the next 365 days!

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Bookends

It has been a great Thanksgiving week!

To start the weekend off right, I attended the Texas vs. Kansas State game on Saturday courtesy of my awesome neighbor Chris.






Chris has season tickets to UT Football games and she had an extra ticket so I got to tag along.  We started the evening tailgating with her regular group where I probably had one too many hard ciders and at least two too many chicken wings.  Even with the excess of food and drink and the Texas defeat, I had a fun time with Chris, Forest, Kay, Mike and Joan.  The picture above shows our view of the pregame festivities.  I felt quite nostalgic at this scene because I was a member of Alpha Phi Omega, the co-ed service fraternity, whose job it is to run the flag at the start of the game.  For some reason, I have not been really into UT sports and gradually the urge to participate in watching the games has come back and I am really enjoying being included in the festivities.  Even though we lost to KSU, the win against Texas A & M on Thanksgiving as the last game on our regular schedule against the Aggies, took the sting out of the home game loss in my mind.

To end this week of thanks, I attended the UT vs. Sam Houston State basketball at the Erwin Center courtesy of my neighbor Chris, again.


Since Chris was off enjoying a long holiday weekend with her extended family, she offered me the tickets so of course I had to oblige.  Alison and I started the evening at Haddington's http://www.haddingtonsrestaurant.com/eat/ for drinks and appetizers before heading to the game.  I ate some yummy grilled quail & risotto while Alison tried the truffled egg custard.  I don't know if that dish was good because she didn't share ; ), but since she ate the whole thing, I think it was.  After one or three drinks (I was driving so I was the 'one' and she was the 'three') we headed on over to the game.  We walked in just at the start and proceeded to watch SHSU take an early lead and it took both of us a few minutes to realize which team to cheer for because SHSU's color is orange.  Eventually we took the lead and kept it for the rest of the game winning by a score of 56-40.  I enjoy going to live games from time to time, but both Alison and I agree that if the hassle out weighs the pleasure, then sometime watching things on TV in the comfort of our homes is not such a bad thing.

This week's Longhorns' activities are just practice for 'the List' as I have a UT football game as one of the things I hope to do next year. 

I figure I am not cheating, just practicing for my year in 2012.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment