Why Top 45?

These are the things that float to the top of my list of activities that I want to do for the year 2012 when I am 45 years old. The list is comprised of things that I have either never tried or have wanted to try and just didn't have the courage or time to do it. Follow along and watch my progress and feel free to comment or add words of encouragement to help keep me going for the next 365 days!

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Still Crazy - Paul Simon Inspires


Still Crazy After All These Years


Last night I had the awesome opportunity to see Paul Simon in concert at Cedar Park Center where there is not a bad seat in the house.



Several months ago I was watching my favorite show, CBS Sunday Morning, and drinking my coffee when a story about Paul Simon was featured.  I really enjoyed the story and the next morning I commented to my neighbor, John, about how much I enjoyed it and could not believe that Paul was 70 and still doing what he is doing.  John is a musician, so not surprisingly, he was sorry that he missed the story and I filled him in on as many details as I could remember thinking this thread would end there.  Serendipitously, a few mornings later, I was letting my radio/alarm set to KGSR wake me up and I heard Paul Simon singing Graceland.  As soon as the song ended, the D.J. announced the upcoming concert to Austin/Cedar Park.  When I mentioned this to John, he said that maybe we could all go to see him and I was quite excited because I had never seen Paul Simon in concert before.

Unfortunately, John couldn't make the concert, so I went with Suzy and Alison last night and we were not disappointed one bit!  Paul is an amazing performer, still has an amazing voice and really seems to enjoy playing his music as do all of the other musicians surrounding him onstage.  I kept remarking how great it was to see so many instruments being used along with so many talented individuals.  He sang lots of old songs along with some from his new album, So Beautiful or So What.  I especially liked the song Rewrite because I think, like many of us, we would love to rewrite parts of our lives that maybe didn't go as we had planned and in the end, we make peace with the past in order to move forward.  As Oliver Wendell Holmes said, "I find that great thing in this world is not so much where we stand as in what direction we are moving."

Paul is quite an inspiration to me and really helps me see that my list of the Top 45 is not a task that is impossible to finish and is an adventure to get excited about and that age shouldn't stop us from setting goals and living our dreams.  It seems that Paul does not stand still and 'his direction' is forward.












Special thanks to Edie, John, Suzy and Alison for a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment