Why Top 45?

These are the things that float to the top of my list of activities that I want to do for the year 2012 when I am 45 years old. The list is comprised of things that I have either never tried or have wanted to try and just didn't have the courage or time to do it. Follow along and watch my progress and feel free to comment or add words of encouragement to help keep me going for the next 365 days!

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Bootcamp

     Remember when you were in college and you would go out with your friends for a night of drinking?  I am speaking hypothetically of course but picture this.  You pick a bar downtown that is playing some fun music and decide to be a little wild and start ordering shots.  After the first one, you think, I am not really feeling it so I should have another.  Then you repeat this same 'thought and action' routine say 2 or 3 more times.  It is after the last shot that you start feeling the effects of the first one.  You think, hey, this is feeling good...about 15-30 minutes later, the second and hypothetical third shot kicks in and that is when you start thinking, "Oh no, there are still a few more shots that haven't fully entered my system."  If you are lucky, you get off easy and all the dancing you do will help work off the effects of the tequila, aka tokillya, as well as the greasy burger/taco/BestWurstSausage you consume on your way home.  If you aren't lucky, you spend the night in the bathroom or in bed watching the room spin.
     Going to boot camp is kind of like doing too many shots of tequila.  At first you think, 'Wow!  Even though this is only the second time I am taking this class and I am feeling great!'  About 30 minutes into the class, you are still feeling pretty strong but your legs start to not perform from all the lunges and squats.  Finally, toward the last few minutes of class you can barely kick your legs out while attempting the 50th burpee.  One day I will be able to do them like this extremely fit woman on YouTube.




     You would think I would learn my lesson from the last time I did boot camp at 24 Hour Fitness with Kellyn, but I didn't.  The first time I tried the class was just a few days before I went zip lining with my buds Alison, Amy and Missy.  The timing was not good for having to trek up hills to reach the zip lining stands.  I made it through the zip lining adventure despite my sore-from-boot-camp body.
     Just like the slow integration of the tequila into one's system on a night out, so too is the slow progression of pain throughout my body after doing boot camp. While I am actually doing the class, I feel pretty good and strong, it is the 24 to 48 hours later that it hits me.  As I was laying in bed unable to move very easily 48 hours after this second time I did boot camp, the analogy dawned on me that taking boot camp is like playing drinking games or doing shots in college.  I start to feel a muscle twinge in say my neck and arms and eventually I can barely walk and resort to waddling around my house, to and from Nic's school and having to explain to my clients my slow motion walk while showing houses, not unlike the hangover walk.
     While I do want to do more boot camps very soon, I have decided that it is best that I NOT do another one until after the Danskin Triathlon in early June.  I have to devote my exercise time to swimming, biking and running, none of which I can do for 2-3 days after taking boot camp.
     Since I am back to regularly scheduled workouts of swimming, biking and running, this morning I decided to take a run around the neighborhood since I had an appointment that would keep me from swim practice.  The run felt really good, I was well hydrated and the temperature outside was pleasant.  My biggest concern in making the transition from running the neighborhood to running during the Danskin is twofold.  First, I have all my running accoutrement as seen in the photo below:

Running Gear
The biggest thing that I can't use during the Danskin is my iPod and Nike case....I should be able to wear my Nike Fuel band and Garmin to track my fuel points and heart rate and speeds on the bike and run.
     Second, as I mentioned in my post about the Diva Dash, I don't like the course as it is hilly and littered with large chunks of wood mulch and small stones and I won't have Kellyn there to motivate me up the hills.  I am sure I will do fine as I have run more, swum more and will be back on my bike this week, I just want to do better than fine.  I did have a good run this morning (see photo below), keeping a good pace and finishing better than I have in recent months, so I am definitely looking forward to June 3!


My swim team is doing an open water swim this coming Saturday and one of my teammates has offered to bike the Danskin bike course with me once or twice before the race so I am getting more training than ever.

Garden Update coming soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment