Why Top 45?

These are the things that float to the top of my list of activities that I want to do for the year 2012 when I am 45 years old. The list is comprised of things that I have either never tried or have wanted to try and just didn't have the courage or time to do it. Follow along and watch my progress and feel free to comment or add words of encouragement to help keep me going for the next 365 days!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sammy's House

Each year, Keller Williams gives back to the community by helping a non-profit organization on what's known as RED Day.  RED Day(Renew, Energize and Donate) is an initiative dedicated to celebrating Keller Williams Realty’s year-round commitment to improving our local communities.  Each year, on the second Thursday in May, tens of thousands of associates from across the United States and Canada participate in a wide range of projects, devoting their time to renewing and energizing aspects of the neighborhoods in which they serve.

This year, the day was devoted to helping Sammy's House. Sammy's House is a nonprofit organization that provides services for children who are medically fragile and/or developmentally delayed.  They operate a child development center, a respite care program and a therapy equipment loaning program.  One of our agents, Elizabeth Reilly, nominated Sammy's House as our recipient and I was so excited to participate. 

I knew when I arrived to Sammy's House that this is where I was supposed to do some of my volunteering hours this year because as soon as I pulled up to the place, I experienced deja vu.  In college, I had worked at this very location when it was a daycare center called Elsass Academy.  I worked with young kids as an assistant teacher and also taught some swimming lessons there after I got my life-guarding certification.  Once while taking care of a young boy who had had a #2 accident in his pants, I had to accompany him into the bathroom, take the offending underwear into the stall and try to clean them out before trying to wash them.  I remember helping with this as a young child when my mom used cloth diapers.  The idea is to do the best you can to remove the solids so you can wash the diaper, in this case underwear, in the washer.  Just as I was holding the underpants over the toilet and pushing the handle to flush down the solids, the little boy pushed his way into the stall and my not-so-secure hold on the undies was not strong enough to hold them and the toilet flushed just as the underwear fell from my hands....I was hoping that my memories of this day were not as traumatic as that event and I was fairly certain that that would be the case.  No one was going home with swim trunks as underpants and I was not going to have to tell a parent what happened to their sons underwear.

I signed up for the Child Interactive portion of the day and decided it would be fun to help with the Dance group.  I ended up working with Jill Leberknight of Emmy Award Winning Biscuit Brothers fame...I have no idea what I was thinking as she showed up in her Buttermilk costume and there was no competing with that! 



Seriously though, Jill is awesome and exudes fun energy that the kids really enjoyed.  Our first group of kiddos were under 2 years, closer to 1 year old, but it was fun to carry one of the infants and dance around to the music.  We eventually got to the kids that were 5 years in age on average and they took to the music and swinging the Texas bandanas around the space we had.  Eventually, we tied the bandanas around our waists and made them look like little Texas flag skirts.  Luckily, we were finishing up with one of the last groups as it started to sprinkle then rain so my shift ended on a high note.

I tried to import a video that played on KVUE News the night of the event, but I can't find it on YouTube.  You can however view it here.

Next up:  Le Cordon Bleu Cooking Class!

No comments:

Post a Comment